Re: multiple kill and paste from X clipboard

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: multiple kill and paste from X clipboard
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2024 08:42:40 +0800

Manuel Giraud via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I guess that it would work but it is not what I intended to do.  I'd
> like to be able to paste each string separately.  For example: paste the
> first string in one text form, the second one elsewhere,…

X doesn't provide any mechanism for programs to exchange the contents of
independent text fields, so this isn't possible, unless you implement
your own protocol on both sides of the selection request.  The most
similar mechanism is the Search Parameter Sharing Protocol, which has
languished over the years, in that its implementations are unreliable if
they exist at all.

Don't let the above deter you from implementing this, as such a protocol
would be a welcome addition if adopted by the popular toolkits.