help-gnucap

Re: [Help-gnucap] gnucap error

From: al davis
Subject: Re: [Help-gnucap] gnucap error
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 22:49:46 -0400

On Wednesday 06 July 2011, Andy Fierman wrote:
> I'm not experienced with Gnucap so please excuse me if this
> is nonsense.
>
> Is the
>
> DVnoise.X1, Dvnoise is not a .model
>
> part of the error message is trying to tell you that the line
> under
>
> ***Voltage Noise Generation
>
> DVnoise 501     0       Dvnoise
>
> is confusing the parsing process (not sure if that's the
> right terminology but I hope you get the idea)?
>
> Maybe the net name "DVnoise" at the start of the line is
> being read as the diode component "Dvnoise". This could
> cause a problem.

Yes .. that's it.

Model names and device names are in the same scope.

That raises a question ...  How is this handled in the various
versions of Spice?  I thought it was the same, but I keep
finding surprises in the many variants of spice format.  I
consider "HSpice" to be the most important for compatibility,
and "PSpice" second.  Both of these are Spice-2 derivatives.

That's one of the reasons to move away from spice format
netlists.  In recent snapshots, the language is a plugin.
Verilog and Spectre formats are also supported, and much
cleaner.

> If Gnucap is case sensitive when reading netlists then a
> component called DVnoise would not be the same as Dvnoise
> and so the .model Dvnoise would not be seen as applying to
> the wrongly identified DVnoise component.

In recent snapshots, there is an option to make it case
sensitive or not.  By default, it is case sensitive with Verilog
or Spectre formats, insensitive with Spice format ... for
compatibility with the published or accepted spec of each
format.

You should get the latest snapshot from gnucap.org.  There are a
lot of improvements since 0.35.

al.