Re: Tool distribution

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Tool distribution
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 18:42:26 +0100

Timothy Larkin wrote:
> I have a working tool which has no gui and uses no graphics. It uses
> only functions in the standard C library and the basic GNUStep libraries.
>
> How can I, or even can I, package this tool so that it can be run on a
> Linux system with no GNUstep installed? Or if that is not possible, what
> is the minimum set of libraries I need to install on the target system
> to get the tool to work? (I'm not even sure the target has gcc.)

On Windows I have tried to build a GNUstep application, not just a tool,
that would have all the needed GNUstep libraries and resources in one
directory. What was needed for that was some fiddling with the
GNUstep.conf file that went into the same directory. But your request
seems to be to get one file only and have that run on a machine without
GNUstep. I think this is possible (given that you recompile all needed
libraries statically), but will be strongly restricted in the available
functionality.

Fred