help-gnuzilla

Re: Building IceCat on macos 10.15

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Building IceCat on macos 10.15
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 08:51:57 +0900

Thank you for the reply Johannes,

> On Apr 23, 2020, at 4:00, Johannes Marbach <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hi Jean-Christophe,
>
>> I wanted to try that again with macos 10.15 and found that the same
>> instructions resulted in an error because libstdc++ is now deprecated and it
>> is necessary to "pass '-stdlib=libc++' on the command line to use the libc++
>> standard library instead".
>
> I am not sure if it's helpful but in my build script for IceCat 60.3.0
> on macOS 10.11 I had set the flags via
>
> export CXX='/usr/bin/clang++ -stdlib=libc++'

Interesting. But I seem to remember libc++ was not an issue when I built 52.3
on 10.13 2 years ago.

I read somewhere that the deprecation is relatively recent. I've just asked the
xcode list on groups.io. I think the configure script should check which
version of darwin is used and based on that require the use of libc++, or not.

> I also seem to recall that some C++ errors went away after manually
> installing the command line headers from Xcode.

There again, I did not have to do that 2 years ago.

> I compiled all the info here: https://notabug.org/h3nn3s/icecat-mac
>
> Hope some of it proves helpful.

Thank you very much.

Jean-Christophe Helary