Re: Finding Circular Dependencies

From: Alexander Kriegisch
Subject: Re: Finding Circular Dependencies
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:29:00 +0100

> [1] Actually make does have minimal knowledge of which commands run a
> sub-make, so it knows how to handle them during -n runs etc.  Even so,
> make just runs the sub-make as a separate process.

That is what I thought, so there would be a mechanism to delegate
certain parameters (-p also works recursively, as it seems) to
sub-makes. I personalls do not like recursive make structures, but in
projects like Freetz or Buildroot they cannot be avoided, because such
build environments including third-party packages always fire a series
of sub-make calls in order to build those packages, even if within
themselves they work cleanly enough, including *.mk files instead of
calling seperate make processes.

Maybe such information could also be conveyed to a sub-make via "magic"
environment variables, provided those would be exported into each
sub-make's environment as expected.
--
Alexander Kriegisch
Certified ScrumMaster