[Help-nano] Comments

From: Seb
Subject: [Help-nano] Comments
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2019 14:14:33 +0100 (CET)

Hi!

First of all, thanks to the team for 'nano', which keeps getting better.

I use it for most of my editing tasks. There is a thing that I do not currently manage to do, and perhaps wizards here can help.

When I write some code, I comment a lot. What I do is disable the wrapping of long lines, write the long comment on one line, starting with '#', then apply ^J. Then the comment looks nice.

But this is not really convenient since I often need to re-read a part of the comment that is no longer on the screen. I then ^J and restart the process.

What I'd like is to enable the wrapping of long lines, start a comment with #, type away and see a '#' automagically appear at the beginning of a new line.

Additionaly, I'd like to enable both '#' and '//' as comment strings within the same document, since I write HTML pages containing both Perl and JavaScript code.

Are any of these possible?

Finally, a completely unrelated question: when a document contain long lines (> 80 chars), is there a keyboard switch what would allow me to see the far end of the line as wrapped, on the same screen, as Vim does?

Thanks !
Sébastien.

PS:
 GNU nano, version 2.7.4
 Compiled options: --disable-libmagic --disable-wrapping-as-root --enable-utf8
 (Debian stable)