Re: licenses and law

From: John Turner
Subject: Re: licenses and law
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:28:16 -0500 (EST)

JCL> I have just read the License of a Student edition of Matlab 5. In the
JCL> middle of it, it says
JCL>
JCL> "...In particular, Licensee may not alter, adapt, translate or convert
JCL> "M-Files" contained in the Programs in order to use those files with any
JCL> non-Developer software, nor may the Licensee incorporate or use "M-Files"
JCL> or any other part of the Programs in or as part of another computer
JCL> program."
JCL>
JCL> Anyway, do such restrictions have legal validity?

Of course they do.  Whether you choose to obey them (and I'm not
suggesting you not obey them) is up to you.  Just be aware that what
you're doing violates the license.

Of course, if you don't agree with the license, you shouldn't buy the
product, but instead use (and hopefully support, develop, and extend)
software that is free of such restrictions.

--
John A. Turner, Ph.D.                Senior Research Associate
Blue Sky | VIFX                      http://www.bluesky-vifx.com/

Check out our newly-released fully computer-generated short film at:
    http://bunny.blueskystudios.com/
Grand Prize Winner at the 1999 Imagina Film Festival.