Re: Textscan Stops for Missing Data

From: Philip Nienhuis
Subject: Re: Textscan Stops for Missing Data
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2017 13:41:23 +0200

Ozzy Lash wrote on 27-Aug-17 00:09:

<snip>

My suggestion still stands, changing the value of "Whitespace" gives
different behavior, and if the lines that have a tab as the beginning
character are trimmed so that they don't start with a tab, I think the
behavior is what the original poster wanted. The documentation for
"Whitespace" in textscan is more clear to me:

"Whitespace"
          Any character in VALUE will be interpreted as whitespace and
          trimmed; The default value for whitespace is " \b\r\n\t" (note
          the space).  Unless whitespace is set to "" (empty) AND at
          least one "%s" format conversion specifier is supplied, a
          space is always part of whitespace.

I wonder if it would make sense to remove the "Delimiter" value from the
"Whitespace" values.

It could be that Octave's textscan's default whitespace chars don't match those of Matlab.
Anyway I think this is a bug in textscan.

Philip