help-shishi

Re: debian build of 0.35

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: debian build of 0.35
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:52:30 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Another issue came up when packaging 0.35, lintian complained:
>
> W: shishi-dbg: dbg-package-missing-depends shishi
> N:
> N:   This package has a name of the form of "X-dbg", indicating it contains
> N:   detached debugging symbols for the package X. If so, it should depend
> N:   on the corresponding package, generally with (= ${binary:Version})
> N:   since the debugging symbols are only useful with the binaries created
> N:   by the same build.
> N:
>
> That was likely because 'shishi-dbg' only depend on libshishi (=
> ${binary:Version}), not the other packages for which it also contains
> debugging information.
>
> I did install the following fix:
>
> -Depends: libshishi0 (= ${binary:Version})
> +Depends: libshishi0 (= ${binary:Version}),
> + libshisa0 (= ${binary:Version}),
> + shishi (= ${binary:Version}),
> + shisa (= ${binary:Version}),
> + shishi-kdc (= ${binary:Version}),
> + libpam-shishi (= ${binary:Version})
>
> But then I realized this probably isn't a good idea... a user should be
> able to install 'shishi-dbg' without having to pull in shishi-kdc etc.

I think that's right, except that you want | instead of , between the
dependencies.  That way, the debug package requires at least one package
for which it provides debug symbols to be installed.

I was going to do that when I added the dependency and then didn't.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>