help-shishi

Re: debian build of 0.35

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: debian build of 0.35
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:14:35 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> It just occurred to me that, with |, couldn't the user have the proper
> version of libshishi0 installed, but an old version of, say,
> libpam-shishi?  The dependencies for shishi-dbg are satisfied via the
> proper version of libshishi0, and the incorrect version of libpam-shishi
> is not tested.  Then debugging of libpam-shishi would fail, potentially
> even in bad ways.

Yes.  Of course, if the user wasn't interested in debugging libpam-shishi,
they wouldn't notice.

> The dependency relation that we want to express is that if any of the
> shishi packages are installed, they must be of the same version as
> shishi-dbg, if shishi-dbg is going to be installed.  Is that even
> possible with dpkg?

Only with something like Conflicts, and I think that gets too ugly to be
worth it and may lead to aptitude removing the wrong thing.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>