help-shishi

Re: debian build of 0.35

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: debian build of 0.35
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 16:49:55 +0100

Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:

>> -Depends: libshishi0 (= ${binary:Version})
>> +Depends: libshishi0 (= ${binary:Version}),
>> + libshisa0 (= ${binary:Version}),
>> + shishi (= ${binary:Version}),
>> + shisa (= ${binary:Version}),
>> + shishi-kdc (= ${binary:Version}),
>> + libpam-shishi (= ${binary:Version})
>>
>> But then I realized this probably isn't a good idea... a user should be
>> able to install 'shishi-dbg' without having to pull in shishi-kdc etc.
>
> I think that's right, except that you want | instead of , between the
> dependencies.  That way, the debug package requires at least one package
> for which it provides debug symbols to be installed.
>
> I was going to do that when I added the dependency and then didn't.

It just occurred to me that, with |, couldn't the user have the proper
version of libshishi0 installed, but an old version of, say,
libpam-shishi?  The dependencies for shishi-dbg are satisfied via the
proper version of libshishi0, and the incorrect version of libpam-shishi
is not tested.  Then debugging of libpam-shishi would fail, potentially
even in bad ways.

The dependency relation that we want to express is that if any of the
shishi packages are installed, they must be of the same version as
shishi-dbg, if shishi-dbg is going to be installed.  Is that even
possible with dpkg?

/Simon