help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] source-highlight on webservers ? CGI ?

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] source-highlight on webservers ? CGI ?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:54:04 +0200

Matthias Pospiech wrote:
Hello,

Hi Matthias!

I am totally new to this project. I want to have a software that can do decent source-highlighting of LaTeX Code in Websites. I currently use Geshi (http://www.pospiech.eu/latex/latex-syntaxhighlighting-in-webseiten/)
but the results are dissapointing and the abilities of gehsi too limited.

Therefore I would like to know if I can use source-highlight for this task. I would be necessary that it can run as a CGI module or similar, since I have no root access and the Provider will not install any software for me.

yes, source-highlight can be run as a cgi script, and indeed, when you compile it, it will also create a cgi executable (called source-highlight-cgi) that is taking parameters passed on the url and convert it in command line paramenters:

http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite/source-highlight.html#Related-Software-and-Links

I haven't tested it myself, but it should work smoothly

when you run configure, you may want to set

 --enable-input-chroot=DIR     change the root input dir

(which I now realized it's not documented in the manual), so that in the URL you won't have to specify the whole absolute path to your files

If this is possible, the next question would be if there are plugins available for CMS systems (I only found Twiki). I use wordpress on my website which is based on php.

I know of a guy that's working on that but he hasn't got anything ready yet... you mean twiki has support for source-highlight?

please let me know if you know additional help for the cgi stuff, I'll be more than happy to help you on that.

Remember that you'll have to build the cgi executable in a "static" way, i.e., with all the libraries in it. Again, let me know if you need more instructions on this.

hope to hear from you soon
cheers
        Lorenzo

|  Lorenzo Bettini          ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     |
|  PhD in Computer Science                            |
|  Dip. Sistemi e Informatica, Univ. di Firenze       |
|  Florence - Italy        (GNU/Linux User # 158233)  |
|  Home Page        : http://www.lorenzobettini.it    |
|  http://music.dsi.unifi.it         XKlaim language  |
|  http://www.purplesucker.com Deep Purple Cover Band |
|  http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite           |