compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2

From: Joshua Daniel Franklin
Subject: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 17:18:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello. I'm documentation manager for Cygwin (cygwin.com),
a UNIX environment, developed by Red Hat, for Windows. It consists of a
lot of ported software, including GNU tools.

I'm working on using compressed info files system-wide. Cygwin uses
/usr/info/ to store info files, and size can be an issue. From the
documentation I thought that simply compressing the files would work.
However, it does not; I get "Unable to find node referenced by `Gzip' in
`(dir)Top'." For example, a session attempting to compress gzip.info:

[18:50:18]info$ grep -A2 START gzip.info
START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
* Gzip: (gzip).                 The gzip command for compressing files.
END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
$ info gzip # this works fine
$ gzip gzip.info
$ zgrep -A2 START gzip.info.gz
START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
* Gzip: (gzip).                 The gzip command for compressing files.
END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
$ info gzip # Fails with "Unable to find node referenced by `Gzip' in
`(dir)Top'."
$ install-info.exe --delete gzip /usr/info/dir
$ grep gzip dir # no output, as expected
$ gzip.exe gzip.info
$ install-info gzip.info.gz /usr/info/dir
$ grep gzip dir
* Gzip: (gzip).                 The gzip command for compressing files.
$ info gzip # Same error as before
$ info -f gzip.info.gz
info: gzip.info.gz: Invalid argument

We are using texinfo 4.2, but I got an compiled the latest
(ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/texinfo/texinfo-4.2.tar.gz) just in case. It exhibits
the same behaviour:

$ ./ginfo.exe -f /usr/info/gzip.info.gz
info: /usr/info/gzip.info.gz: Invalid argument

Is there something obvious I'm missing here?
Thanks.