Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2

From: Harry Putnam
Subject: Re: compressing info files w/ gzip or bzip2
Date: Fri, 02 Aug 2002 17:58:30 -0700

Joshua Daniel Franklin <address@hidden> writes:

> [18:50:18]info$ grep -A2 START gzip.info
> START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
> * Gzip: (gzip).                 The gzip command for compressing files.
> END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
> $ info gzip # this works fine
> $ gzip gzip.info
> $ zgrep -A2 START gzip.info.gz
> START-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
> * Gzip: (gzip).                 The gzip command for compressing files.
> END-INFO-DIR-ENTRY
> $ info gzip # Fails with "Unable to find node referenced by `Gzip' in
> `(dir)Top'."

[...]

As you may be aware, on a redhat-7.3  system the files in
/usr/share/info are all gzipped and none display this problem.  I
have the most recent gnu texinfo (4.2) same as you.

> $ install-info.exe --delete gzip /usr/info/dir
> $ grep gzip dir # no output, as expected
> $ gzip.exe gzip.info
> $ install-info gzip.info.gz /usr/info/dir
> $ grep gzip dir
> * Gzip: (gzip).                 The gzip command for compressing files.
> $ info gzip # Same error as before

> $ info -f gzip.info.gz
> info: gzip.info.gz: Invalid argument

I my system, if file name is gzip.info.gz and I say:
info -f ./gzip.info  it works.
Note that the path must be given when using info -f  even if its in
teh current directory `info -f ./some.info'
Note too that even though the filename has a gz extension, I left it
off when using info -f and it works anyway.