Re: info info; man info (documentation about info)

From: Gavin Smith
Subject: Re: info info; man info (documentation about info)
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 19:45:51 +0000

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 02:46:10PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Dave Kemper <saint.snit@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2023 15:36:44 -0600
> > Cc: arsen@aarsen.me, alx.manpages@gmail.com, g.branden.robinson@gmail.com,
> >     help-texinfo@gnu.org
> >
> > On 1/9/23, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> > > It is not a coincidence that the GNU project deprecated man pages in
> > > favor of Info manuals.
> >
> > A decision that, decades on, still does not garner universal acclaim.
>
> There are people who weren't yet exposed to the superior power of
> Info, because no one could be bothered telling them the main points
> and punch lines.  And then there are old habits that die hard.
>
> The GNU project has as its _policy_ to prefer Info documentation.  We
> are executing this policy because we fully agree with it, but even if
> we didn't agree, when we accept the nomination of maintainers of some
> GNU package, we promise to uphold these policies.

I'll add that our interest here on this mailing list is Info and
Texinfo, and making those systems better, and in doing so making the
GNU system better in making a complete free operating system available.

Whether manpages are better or not, is really neither here or there.
If some other effort wants to use manpages to document their system
rather than Info then that is perfectly fine and nobody will be
offended in any way.