help-zile

[zile-devel] Update: more bugs found and fixed; progress on EPOC port

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] Update: more bugs found and fixed; progress on EPOC port
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:30:05 +0100 (CET)

I've been working on the EPOC port today. In the process, I found and fixed bugs in alternative-bindings code (EPOC needs alternative-bindings, sigh...).

I also removed novice-mode and the minihelp screens, for three reasons:

1. The screens are tedious to maintain.

2. zile is not for novices. There are plenty of lightweight editors (e.g. nano) that cater to novices.

3. Emacs does not have these features. We're trying to be a strict subset of Emacs, as far as sensible.

With minihelp gone, the only function of novice-mode was to determine whether the scratch buffer has a message or not on startup. Since Emacs always puts this message in the scratch buffer, this seemed to be sensible behaviour in zile too.

The EPOC port is progressing nicely. Annoyingly, the screen update is not very fast on a 36MHz processor, but it might well turn out to be usable. There is room for optimisation if not. In any case, the port seems to work well enough that I'm now using it instead of eemacs. None of the code is yet checked in; EPOC doesn't support BSD signals, nor fchmod and fchown.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
C++, n.  an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog (Anon)