hfdb

[hfdb] Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [hfdb] Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 06:50:44 +1000

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 01:54, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> The recommended driver on linuxprinting.org is the one which makes the
> printer working best, it usually gives the highest output quality. As
> only free drivers are considered and as printer drivers are simply
> filters to convert PostScript or a standard bitmap image format to the
> printer's native language (no kernel drivers or so) they should work the
> same way on all systems and so the recommended one stays the same on
> GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris,

Thanks for this clarification Till - I hadn't realized that printer
driver's were so simple. This is the perfect example then, of a
kernel-neutral "driver".

I assume there must also be a dependency on lower level "traditional
kernel driver"s such as serial/ parallel interface driver, firewire or
USB driver, etc - and that these are not particularly kernel-agnostic :)

>  ... But a driver recommendation can also
> depend on other things (best output quality, fastest, most user-settable
> options, ...), so the comment text should contain additional info if
> there are also other recommended drivers and why they are recommended.
> Having one especially recommended driver in a database field makes
> automated setup processes possible, so that even users who do not know
> what drivers are, get there printers or other hardware working.

Thanks for that.

cheers
zen