hfdb

Re: [hfdb] Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [hfdb] Re: Grand Unified Hardware Database
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 07:49:47 +1000

> To avoid discussing matters ad infinitem. please consider it decided
> now that we will store the data in an XML format, and that initially
> we can edit the data by editing the XML formats.
>
> If people want to develop a way to read the data into an RDBMS, and/or
> to enter data thru an RDBMS, that's fine too.  Once it exists, people
> can use it.  But we don't have to wait for it.  So there is no need to
> discuss this now.  People who want to do this can do it when they are
> ready.

How will we create "queries" - ie how do we produce a list of
"recommended (supported) graphics cards"? Or is this not necessary/
useful? or not useful at the start?

I know how to write SQL queries to generate reports.

I do not know how to do the same with plain text files (and tools such
as awk).

On the other hand, it _should_ be easy to import (XML) data into an SQL
db.