hurd-devel

Re: gnumach release

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: gnumach release
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 00:19:14 +0100

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 07:43:36PM -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
> 37945 should be either closed or followed up.  From that report, there is
> nothing that says it is a kernel problem vs a Hurd problem.

I want to keep it open for now, until I have found time to give it another
try, hopefully with gdb on the kernel.

> 42156 has I think been resolved with new GRUB features.

Well, I don't think so, as the report is specifically about the root
device.  But then, I don't think the relation between the root to get the
files from and the root device to give to the kernel/root filesystem is as
strong as I thought when I filed that report, so I guess we can close it.

> Is 45605 still a problem?

Yes, but we don't need to fix it, as my char glue stuff never
made it in.  OSKit doesn't have this problem, so I will close the report.

> 82600 seems like it was just a resource thing, and then there is some porn
> spam in the report. :-)  Can we close that one?

Well, that zalloc panic actually reflects the number one crash of the Hurd
these days, but I don't think it is related to ranlib.  I will have to debug
oskit-mach to see why zalloc fails although the stress is constant over
hours.  The report is not giving us anything (I certainly won't forget about
zalloc panics), but the problem is still there.

> 113732 should be trivial to fix, or it should be marked as punted.

I am not willing to give gnumach a second thought on such issues.  We can
close it, but I would like an item added to a TODO list somewhere that the
kernel needs to be careful with user supplied data, and we should audit the
code with respect to that (and the Hurd servers, too, of course).

Thanks,
Marcus
--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org address@hidden