Re: New issue: emails get stuck in Mail/Incoming* files

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: New issue: emails get stuck in Mail/Incoming* files
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:28:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Tassilo,

On Oct 29, 7:53 pm, Tassilo Horn <tass...@member.fsf.org> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> Hi Francis,
>
> > All my emails (fetched by fetchmail into /var/spool directory) are
> > moved by Gnus to Mail/Incoming* files,
>
> I can explain that:
>
> ,----[ (info "(gnus)Gnus Development") ]
> |    Some variable defaults differ between alpha Gnusae and released
> | Gnusae, in particular, `mail-source-delete-incoming'.  This is to
> | prevent lossage of mail if an alpha release hiccups while handling the
> | mail.
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h v mail-source-delete-incoming RET ]
> | mail-source-delete-incoming is a variable defined in `mail-source.el'.
> | Its value is 10
> |
> | Documentation:
> | If non-nil, delete incoming files after handling.
> | If t, delete immediately, if nil, never delete.  If a positive number,
> delete
> | files older than number of days.
> |
> | Removing of old files happens in `mail-source-callback', i.e. no
> | old incoming files will be deleted unless you receive new mail.
> | You may also set this variable to nil and call
> | `mail-source-delete-old-incoming' interactively.
> `----
>
> ,----[ C-h v mail-source-incoming-file-prefix RET ]
> | mail-source-incoming-file-prefix is a variable defined in `mail-source.el'.
> | Its value is "Incoming"
> |
> | Documentation:
> | Prefix for file name for storing incoming mail
> `----

Yes, I already set mail-source-delete-incoming to nil since I don't
want to loose any emails until this problem is fixed.

> > but now they don't appear anymore in my Inbox group.

It looks like the split process, the one which deliver each email to
the right group is not working/called anymore.

This might be due to an unexpected power-off that leads to a
corruption of a Gnus' file or something similar.

Do you have an idea, how I can debug this ?

Thanks