Re: Prevent "save to ~/.authinfo[Y/y/N/n]" prompt

From: Brady Trainor
Subject: Re: Prevent "save to ~/.authinfo[Y/y/N/n]" prompt
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 19:25:32 -0700

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> Brady Trainor <algebrat@uw.edu> writes:
>
>> Hi, something is wrong with my gpg use, so until I fix it, I will just
>> enter my password for each use. (I will likely start a new thread about
>> my gpg soon.)
>>
>> But something I never really liked, is the prompt when doing so to save
>> this information in `~/.authinfo'.
>>
>> Is there a way to prevent this prompt. I think it'd be nice for initial
>> setup of Gnus as well, as storing passwords (securely) may not be the
>> first thing you get around to, and one may get nervous about accidently
>> saving it in this plain text file.
>
> Hi Brady.
>
> I have *never* seen this behaviour, so maybe it is some slight quirk at
> your end which is causing it? Perhaps the way that something is
> saved/configured in your gpg setup? But whatever is causing it, it is
> definitely non-standard behaviour!
>
> Sharon.

I meant I was not using gpg for now. I believe if you comment out your
password, you should be able to reproduce the prompt.

I think I've solved it. From
http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/emacs/emacs-24/annotate/head:/lisp/gnus/auth-source.el,
I find

,----
| (let ((prompt (format "Save auth info to file %s? " file))
|       (done (not (eq auth-source-save-behavior 'ask)))
`----

Which inspires

,----
| (setq auth-source-save-behavior nil)
`----

which appears to be the best way.

Not sure if there was a better way to browse the lisp, I was
simultaneously downloading it when I found it with Ctrl+f in the
browser.

Also, can ensure it prompts for a gpg file instead of a plain text one,
with

,----
`----

--