Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: alt-tab? really? you're joking...
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:50:21 +0100

Hikaru Ichijyo <ichijyo@macross.sdf.jp> writes:

> "Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:
>
>> You seem to be very confused.
>
> Probably...
>
>> The key binding for name completion is Meta Tab, M-TAB,
>> not Alt Tab A-TAB.
>>
>> Perhaps your keyboard is ill-configured too.
>>
>> You should ask advice on how to map a meta- modifier key disctinct from
>> the alt- modifier key (if you needed the later at all)
>
> I do know about the history of Emacs and Lisp...and space cadet
> keyboards, and the Meta, Super, Hyper keys...
>
> But really...  On a modern x86 Intel-based PC (which is what probably
> over 90% of users running Emacs today are using), "Meta" is your Alt
> key.  We can all swear an oath to always call it Meta out of deference
> to Richard Stallman and very expensive rackmount machines in the 70's
> that were purpose-built to run Lisp, but...oh come on, it's your Alt
> key, right?
>
> The real gist of my question was that one's window manager (kwin,
> WindowMaker, etc.) will almost certainly just think of Alt as Alt, and
> won't care for what historical reason Emacs wants Alt-Tab (um, Meta-Tab).

On modern keyboards, you have 10 modifier keys.

You can map, for example:

! Control
! Shift                                                Shift
! Multi_key Alt  Meta                Meta AltGr Hyper Control

Another option would be closer to Space Cadet:

! Control
! Shift                                            Shift
! Hyper super Meta              Control Meta super Hyper