Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:50:54 -0400

On Wed, 2005-10-26 at 21:32 +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> - persistence
>
>       We haven't decided so far.  A persistent system has many advantages.
>       It is something which can also be done partly, for example by giving
>       the user a persistent session, while having a non-persistent core.  At
>       this moment I think we will want a fully persistent system, but I'm
>       not sure at all about this.

Our experience suggests that persistence should be all-inclusive, and
that only the kernel and drivers should be omitted from the persistence
contract.

> - real time
>
>       So far, the Hurd isn't planned to be a real time operating system.
>       That is, it doesn't support real time applications.  If we can be real
>       time, it would be nice, but it isn't a priority.  Of course we do want
>       time-critical applications such as audio and video players and
>       cd-burners to run fluently when the system isn't under heavy load.
>       (in other words: we don't want to do worse than GNU/Linux.)

If you want audio and video, you want real time.

Speaking only for myself (and possibly for Marcus): some time in the
future I would like to throw Windows out of my home recording studio.
Before I can do that, I need an open source platform with really good
real-time support and a bunch of recording studio software.