Re: Broken dream of mine :(

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Broken dream of mine :(
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 00:50:26 +0200

Am Dienstag, 22. September 2009 00:43:35 schrieb Sam Mason:
> > Just because much work went into something doesn't mean we shouldn't
> > throw it away (though many people try to avoid it "I paid good money for
> > that, now I will use it, even if it costs me the same money again!").
>
> Of course not, but if there are valid uses then it seems strange not
> to exploit them.  Just because other system can use some technology in
> abusive ways doesn't mean all uses are abusive.

But if the majority of uses are, it might be better to avoid that path
altogether.

> But that danger exists whether "we" do anything about it not; Microsoft
> and other commercial software people can do pretty much what ever they
> want, even laws can be changed when they get in the way.

But *they* use unfree software. The danger is, that they might begin using
locked down free software.

Though your right that the GPLv3 should effectively put a stop to that, since
they can't ship a system with GPLv3 software without the unlock keys.

> Then the default install shouldn't go certifying that it's really the
> default install, this isn't very difficult.

As long as we can control the default install, that is. But sadly the one who
controls it is the one who sells the device.

> how many devices are there that have
> a web browser on.  Nobody is going to get around to certifying them
> all---what's the point?

The point is a safe environment for media companies who can then spread around
all material they want and revoke it at every whim.

It is the ability to rewrite history (at least the part most people see).

> The computer world honestly isn't becoming more homogeneous.

But that doesn't mean, that a bad technology can't make it into all devices.

Just remember that mobile phones today are effectively locked down computers.
I can easily see all big mobile phone companies working together to establish
a new standard which allows them to use free software but still keep their
users on a tight leash (just look at the iPhone - you are not even allowed to
put Python scripts on it!).

Best wishes,
Arne

Unpolitisch sein