Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?

From: Ramana Kumar
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Skype Replacement?
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 12:28:09 +0100

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Michał 'rysiek' Woźniak <rysiek@fwioo.pl> wrote:
I have a better idea: use primarily protocol names, instead of
application/project names. XMPP instead of Pidgin. E-Mail instead of
Thunderbird. See - this works! Diaspora instead of Joindiaspora.com.
SIP instead of Ekiga.

This is an excellent idea! I encourage everyone to use protocol names rather than client names.

Now, we can have a (semi)central repository protocol for
federation/search, and that would just mean projects like Thunderbird
or Pidgin, or Ekiga would have to simply implement this protocol -
which would be treated as a "feature" instead of "infringement on
freedom of developers".

The best part is: all the above mentioned protocols use the
user@server scheme.

--
Pozdrawiam
Michał "rysiek" Woźniak

Fundacja Wolnego i Otwartego Oprogramowania