Re: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignati

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] FSF should defend RMS and reject his resignation!
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:29:53 -0700

It seems the public haranguing is so good at drawing emotion and
attention that anything that doesn't fit the narrative gets ignored too
often.

And defending the accused in this bold public campaign way *does* fit
the narrative.

But I'm trying to keep pushing a different direction. I agree with much
of what I've seen from folks like Adrienne. I agree that the call-out
and cancel culture and mob justice is dangerous and often misguided.

However, the solution is not to just take the opposing partisan side in
the argument. That simply plays into the same narrative set up by the
mob in the first place.

One good answer is to actually have a more reasoned, open, (perhaps)
facilitated, discussion about what to do.

Don't take a pro-RMS or anti-RMS stance. Reject the premise of such
stances. Don't call on the FSF to reject his resignation, participate as
a member of the FSF community in working on the difficult challenges of
what to do now. Do that with lots of listening along with proposing.

The broader social political reality we now have in the age of
Zuckerberg et al is horrific, but we can't deny it. The FSF has to
survive in this world, and we need to work together to figure out how to
do that. Martyrdom for the whole org may not be the best tactic for the
mission. We also don't want to send the signal that we can be bullied
and will always give in to mob vigilante justice.

None of this is easy, and it doesn't help to draw dividing lines in the
sand between different factions in the free software movement.