Re: chromebooks

From: lily
Subject: Re: chromebooks
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 2020 09:58:35 +0000

Hola óscar,

In my experience of working with children, I have found that Google already has
had an incredible impact.

Before COVID-19 I was a regular volunteer with an organization that gives free
laptops running the GNU+Linux operating system. I taught children about the
importance of computer user freedom, that GNU means FREEDOM, and I taught
children how to use free software like LibreOffice, GIMP, VLC, Blender, and
others for school work. (I showed the Free Software 30 years video, and the
video talk by Richard Stallman Free Software and Education)

Sadly, I found that children as young 5 years old knew the Google Chrome icon,
and felt that unless they had it they could not connect to the internet. I
showed them that the internet is accessed through a web browser, and that
FireFox is a web browser that respects their freedoms. Most children felt
uncomfortable using FireFox despite this.

Google is taking advantage of the pandemic to sneak their way into the
classroom and collect academic information as well as very personal information
about the most vulnerable population in our society, our CHILDREN. This should
be alarming to everyone! This is not only wrong ,but in the United States I
believe this is a violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
(FERPA). (Legal experts should comment on this.)

I am not a parent, but if I were a parent, I would never let Google touch my
daughter. I would equip her with the knowledge of Free Software and help her
build her own computer that she would understand inside and out.

I know these are difficult times, but there are used laptops available for
affordable prices, and there are resources to learn how to install GNU+Linux
operating systems on them. Parents should take advantage of this and say NO to
schools demanding that they use software and hardware that violates the privacy
of their children and undermines their education by stripping them of not only
software knowledge but hardware knowledge.

Please let me know if this was helpful. Happy to provide links to resources.

Crista Moreno