Re: Chord brackets

From: Chris Jackson
Subject: Re: Chord brackets
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:17:09 +0100

On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 08:28:04PM +0200, Rune Zedeler wrote:

> My idea (the simplest) is to use the piano pedal engraver to draw ottavas (so
> that ottava spanners are actually implemented as "ottava-pedals". When
> thinking
> back on the old harpsichords this is perhaps not as silly as it first sounds).
>
> In this case, all you have to do is to
> - allow for dashed mixed-style pedals (don't remember if this is already
> possible)

Yes - with the #'type property to PianoPedalBracket.

> - mirror the bracket (upside down) when XxxPedalLineSpaner's direction is "up"

Hmm, yes - currently they are translated and not mirrored.

> - add a "ottava-pedal".

> Otherwise (in case someone don't concider ottava-pedals "clean") some new
> grobs
> should probably be added... Perhaps lots of your pedal-bracket-code should be
> moved to a more general place so that others could use it as well... Perhaps

All that the pedal code does is to align bracket markings at the same
y-position, and to set the lengths so that __/ touches up with a \___.
Otherwise they're just plain text spanners.

I don't think the current solution for 8va markings using text spanners
is that bad actually - I don't really see what's "fake" about it, after
all, they are text spanners, and the centralCposition thing ensures
they're at the correct pitch. What would be the advantages of them being
implemented separately?

( I just use \ottavaStart and \ottavaStop macros which set all the
properties... could these be in property-init.ly, with some sensible
defaults? )

> you could even fix the allignment bug of voltas this way?

<trawls through list archives...> What bug is this? Do you mean
<http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/bug-lilypond/2001-September/000049.html>?
Running that example now gives two high brackets, should these be low?

--
chris