reading material?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: reading material?
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:23:25 +0100

address@hidden writes:
>       I was wondering if anyone could suggest references they use for the gnu
> c++
> and python (that'll be a new one for me) that can help get me up to speed for
> linux programming (and hopefully understanding the lines of LilyPond code
> more than just vaguely). If something like info docs are preferred, where
> should I start with those?
>       I know there are coding guidelines mentioned on the site, but I don't
> know of
> any sort of getting started type of docs.  =(
> Thanks for any feedback,

We have actually gotten to the point that we have a slight dislike for
C++ as an implementation language. I recommend to learn Scheme and
Python. There is a lot that can be done writing in those languages,
and it is more fun to boot. For Scheme, try the

* Structure & Interpretation of Computer Programs by Abelson and
Sussman (this book has a very wide scope, and contains way more
information than you need for LilyPond hacking, but it's a wonderful
book)

* The GUILE tutorial (an info document).

For python, see www.python.org

If you're adamant about C++, Jan and I both learned it from
Stroustrup's book.