RE: Fret Diagram markup

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: RE: Fret Diagram markup
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:41:59 +0200

address@hidden writes:
> >     #'((cross 6) (cross 5) (open 4) (barre 1 2))
> >

> I'm delighted to make this change.  Thanks for the input on how you'd
> like it to work.  Do you think it would be best to make a
> \fret-diagram-verbose in addition to the current \fret-diagram, or
> should I just make the syntax change to \fret-diagram?

Make a separate fret-diagram-verbose. We can worry about naming and
the preferred UI later.

> >  * The diagram items include settings for linethickness, height,
> >    width, etc.
> >
> >    It would be better style to put these settings into properties, so
> >    you could do
> >
> >        \translator { \StaffContext
> >          \override FretDiagram #'thickness = #0.2
> >        }
> >
> >    and change all fret diagrams in one fell swoop.
>
>     I assume that size should also be part of the properties, rather
> than an argument to the markup.

Yes.

> >      thickness, barre, radius
> >
> >    instead of
> >
> >      t, c, d
> >

> No problem.  I can easily see the advantage.  And that's a reason why a
> list as an argument is much better than a string, because I don't have
> to parse, right?

Yep.

> I'll be happy to work on them as I can.  I'm traveling over the next
> three weeks, which could be either good or bad in terms of having time
> to work on them.

OK. Let me know when you have something.

Oh, BTW, there should also be some documentation. The doc string of
the markup command is dumped to the internal documentation, so could
you convert that to texinfo? define-markup-commands.scm has plenty of
examples.