Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Transposed Chord name "F flat"
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 16:58:30 -0800

On 2-Nov-04, at 4:18 PM, Benjamin Esham wrote:

On Nov 2, 2004, at 6:20 PM, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:

Bear in mind, E and F-flat aren't actually the same note. Not only are they different points on the key scale, but in a properly tuned scale they aren't
even the same frequency! Very close, but not the same.

Interesting... this flies in the face of everything I've ever been taught :-D

In equal temperament -- aka "standard piano tuning" -- they're the same note.
Using pythagorean or just intonation, they're different.

I did a quick google for those terms, and these pages look promising:
http://cnx.rice.edu/content/m11639/latest/
http://www.midicode.com/tunings/index.shtml

I'm sure you could find many more, though.