Re: removing unwanted accidentals

From: Karl Hammar
Subject: Re: removing unwanted accidentals
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:23:02 +0200

> Citerar Stephen <address@hidden>:
>
> > I think we want Lilypond to continue to follow standard practive. If we give
> > users the ability to violate those rules then total novices will start
> > making mistakes.
>
> We don't have to document the feature in a way such that novices will be able
> use it. I just htink it's a good idea to have the feature for completeness. If
> there is a bug somewhere that makes an unwanted accidental pop up, it's nice
> if
> there is a possiblilty to just write a quick workaround.
>
> > I think you know that in the example you gave, a person reading the score
> > would just play an f sharp where you want an f natural if you suppressed the
> > natural. Why supply a way to suppress that natural if we also have to say
> > never actually do if you do not want them to play f sharp?
>
> What I meant, was related to Karl's example. I don't have lily where I am now,
> but imagine a combo of his and my example; something like
>
> \key d\major fis4 r r r | f2 f | \set Score.barNumber = #1 r2 f |
>
> Here someone might want to avoid the natural before the last f (there might
> exist better examples), and I think it's impossible with current lily due to
> the bug Karl found.
>
> It's just an example, and it's constructed, but shows that there is a
> potential
> need for this kind of setting. I can recall earlier discussions with similar
> content.
>
> The main reason I want it, however, is the philosophy that if you want to
> tweak
> something, you often want to express exactly what you are tweaking, no more,
> no
> less. All Karl wanted to express in his code, was that for a particular note,
> the accidental should be turned off. He didn't want to express that this note
> belongs to a part of the music which uses an alternative practise for
> displaying accidentals.

I don't want the singer/instrumentalist to believe that the composer or
me
demands that this note to have this accidental, since it is not in the
original score.
And since the 'forget did not work for two notes, it would nice to have
something to force it away, so I don't have to delay till the bug hunt
is over.

> Another application of a \noAccidental feature, is a mail that was sent some
> days ago to lily-user iirc. There was a sharp before the cis2 in {cis1~\break
> cis2}, and this person (Thomas iirc) wanted to suppress this.
> You could do that like
> {cis1~\break #(set-accidental-style 'no-forget) cis2 #(set-accidental-style
> 'default) }
> but IMHO this would be more logical, & easier to read and write:
> {cis1~\break cis2\noAccidental}
>
> Erik

Regards,
/Karl