Re: documentation translation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: documentation translation
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 23:12:01 +0100

Francisco Vila wrote:
> I'd like to start the translation of all docs to spanish. I beg your
> advice on how to easily do this, in a manner that it keeps being
> integrated with new developments.
>
> - which files to translate and what parts of them
> - what to do with the translated files, who I have to send them to,
>
> et cetera
>
> Thanks!
>
> Is there already a spanish team doing this??

As far as I can see, there isn't:

1) es.po (that's the file containing Spanish translation of LilyPond
binaries messages on screen output) from latest CVS says:

"PO-Revision-Date: 2002-06-28 15:46CET\n"
"Last-Translator: Quique <address@hidden>\n"

2) no page is translated in Spanish on lilypond.org

3) there is currently no dedicated infrastructure to translate the docs,
but keep an eye on this list, because I will send a partial patch for
this in the coming days. You can always translate the current docs by
replacing the Encglish sources with their translation. We (the French
translators) have tried once, and it isn't very statisfying.

I may suggest you to start with 1) and 2) as you like, and wait for 3)?
The developers may also give you instructions.

Resources (assuming you have a box with a Unix-like shell, cvs, make, a
good text editor, ...):

1) edit the es.po file from CVS repository
( http://savannah.gnu.org/cvs/?group=lilypond ; get module lilypond),
with vim, emacs or kbabel for example.

2) get lilypond.org sources (module newweb from the CVS repository), and
follow instructions in README, TRANSLATION and
http://lilypondwiki.tuxfamily.org/index.php?title=Translations_HOWTO

Good luck!

A French translator
--