Re: Copyright issues

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 13:02:20 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op dinsdag 08-09-2009 om 12:34 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Joseph
> Wakeling:
>
>> The
>> copyright file in my distro (Ubuntu) refers to GPLv2 or later
>
> Which file are you referring to, and what does it say?

/usr/share/doc/lilypond/copyright

Its contents:

This package was Debianized by Anthony Fok <address@hidden> on

Wed,  6 Aug 1997 04:30:28 -0600

The development branch, lilypond1.3, was packaged separately
on Tue,  9 Nov 1999 22:30:32 -0700
but was merged back into the lilypond package
as of Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:58:42 -0600

It was downloaded from
    http://lilypond.org/download/v2.2/lilypond-2.2.2.tar.gz

For more information about GNU LilyPond, please visit:
    http://lilypond.org/

Authors:
      Han-Wen Nienhuys <address@hidden>
      Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden>

Copyright:

  GNU LilyPond is Copyright (C) 1996--2004
  Jan Nieuwenhuizen & Han-Wen Nienhuys

    (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA
02110-1301, USA.

    *** NOTE

            This license applies to all files except the included example
    input files (which are in the subdirectory input/ )

    *** END NOTE

All the other scripts and control files for building and installing
GNU LilyPond under Debian GNU/Linux are also under the GNU General
Public License (GPL) version 2 or later.

On Debian GNU/Linux systems, the complete text of the GNU General
Public License can be found in `/usr/share/common-licenses/GPL'.

I didn't read it properly before, but it looks like a severely
out-of-date notice added by the Debian packager which no one has ever
bothered to revise.