Re: Copyright issues

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 15:21:43 +0200

On 8 Sep 2009, at 14:33, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

I think that copyright only applies to how it is redistributed, and not how it is used. Mac OS X LilyPond has a gs in its distribution. So its GPL version will apply to that part when (re-)distribution. So you need to make sure that when you distribute it, you do not violate any of its terms, like
tivoization - which isn't an issue on Mac OS X.

The lilypond installer is an aggregration of several packages, each
under its own license, rather than a derived work which would have to
be under GPL.  There is no problem here.

Right. That is my point. You need to make sure when you package the thing up for redistribution that you do not violate any copyright terms of the individual components. If you cannot ensure that for some components, an alternative is that the user takes down those components by themselves. There is no need that all components of a package have same copyright license.

  Hans