Re: Copyright issues

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Copyright issues
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:34:53 +0200

John Mandereau wrote:
> Even if any program in LilyPond linked with gs, we'd have no problem
> since LilyPond is licensed under GPLv2+ (GPL v2 or later).
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That was the point of the re-opening of discussion -- my query on that
very point in relation to the new website design.

The COPYING file in Lilypond source code references GPLv2 only.  The
copyright file in my distro (Ubuntu) refers to GPLv2 or later, which may
be where confusion comes from.  Past discussion on -devel notes that LP
is v2 only and the difficulty comes from the paperwork needed to get
permission from contributors to move to 'v2 or later' or 'v3 or later'.

By the way, I note that individual source/documentation files often have
no notice of copyright or license.

Best wishes,

    -- Joe