Re: parameters in metafont files

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: parameters in metafont files
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 23:18:19 +0200

2011/6/8-9 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>:
> After looking more at this, it appears that the .otf-table files are created
> by parsing the log files created during font creation.  See
> scripts/build/mf-to-table.py
>
> So this means that your magic command would need to emit a keyword and a
> real value to the log file, and mf-to-table.py would need to be modified to
> read the keyword and the value and put it in the table file.

Yes, and i'll also have to add a function to mf/feta-autometric.mf,
similar to set_char_box.
I'm finding the actual place in which the value is being output to logfile.

But there's another question: currently all glyphs in
feta-noteheadsFONTSIZE.log have the same amount of characteristics.
Adding another values only to the flags, if at all possible, would
perhaps make reading the logfiles more diffucult. Perhaps it would be
good to move flags into a separate font file? (i.e. separate
feta-noteheads into actual feta-noteheads and feta-flags)
There is another rationale for doing this: i'm pretty sure that
there's a limit of 256 glyphs per font. Until now there were only a
handful of flags, but we're going to have many dozens of them; it's
quite possible that either now or in the future we will reach the 256
glyph limit.

What do you think? I remember that i tried doing this separation, but
something didn't work. I hope i have that draft somewhere though.

> On 6/9/11 9:02 AM, "Janek Warchoł" <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Carl, you are great! After struggling with this shortened-flags issue
>> for 5 months, i wouldn't have enough motivation to continue my work
>> without your help!
>> Right now I'm reading all the stuff that i did to remind myself where
>> i am. As for now it looks that you are pointing me in the right
>> direction!
>
> Glad to be of help!  I really do like your work, and I want to see it
> implemented in LilyPond.

I'm so happy to hear this! Sometimes i have the impression that noone
really cares.
And wait till i start another project! It's gonna be about ties ;)
Maybe i'll finish it before Lily 3.0...

cheers,
Janek