Re: Give slurs skylines in outside-staff-priority calculations. (issue 5

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Give slurs skylines in outside-staff-priority calculations. (issue 5504055)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 18:40:49 +0100

On Dec 28, 2011, at 6:30 PM, address@hidden wrote:

> http://codereview.appspot.com/5504055/diff/3002/scm/define-grob-properties.scm
> File scm/define-grob-properties.scm (right):
>
> http://codereview.appspot.com/5504055/diff/3002/scm/define-grob-properties.scm#newcode1101
> scm/define-grob-properties.scm:1101: (skyline-quantizing ,ly:vsize? "The
> number of boxes to break a
> Mike, why have you added this predicate?  It has no analogue in Scheme.
> I think integer? would be fine for this.  You can silently prevent
> negative numbers.

I added it precisely to un-silently prevent negative numbers.
It's true that it has no analogue in Scheme, but I didn't think this was a
prerequisite for adding a predicate.  In lily.scm, there are several predicates
that don't have Scheme analogues (cheap-list, I believe, has no Scheme
counterpart).

> http://codereview.appspot.com/5504055/diff/3002/scm/define-grob-properties.scm#newcode1102
> scm/define-grob-properties.scm:1102: slur into when calculating its
> skyline.")
> I think this should be more generic.  There are other objects which
> would benefit from this such as hairpins and text spanners.

Will do.
If anyone feels like taking this on, please do - I have a few hard deadlines
coming up and my lily development will be minimal for the next month-ish.
Writing vertical-skyline approximations is not that bad - just use the slur
model as a template and move code around to avoid duplication (for example, in
the tuplet case, you'd want to change Tuplet_bracket::make_bracket to spit out
a list of stencils and then harvest the boxes from the bounding boxes of the
stencils in this list - then, move whatever logic is needed before calling
Tuplet_bracket::make_bracket to a different callback that can be used by both
the print callback and the vertical skylines callback).

Cheers,
MS