Re: Stable releases

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Stable releases
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 20:35:00 +0000

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 08:07:25PM +0000, Carl Sorensen wrote:
> I'm open to hearing everybody's opinion.  If we can get consensus it might
> be a powerful motivation for moving to 2.16.

My position is well-known: version numbers are cheap, stable
releases gets new features and bugfixes into the hands of users,
why wait?  There's been a lot of good work in 2.15; why not get
that to users ASAP?  if we're having major stable releases every 2
months, that might be a bit excessive... but really, I doubt that
we'll ever reach that point.  I'd be happy with a major stable
release every 3 months.

Recall that we started the release process for 2.16 back on August
01, 2011 with the first release candidate.  Second release
candidate was Sep 23 2011... but nobody wanted to tackle all the
Critical issues that arose from that, so we're now in Jan 2012.