Re: Patchy email

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Patchy email
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 17:49:01 +0200

Il giorno mar, 15/05/2012 alle 16.55 +0200, Graham Percival ha scritto:
> Well, the mail address must be subscribed, but the description
> doesn't need to be.  I mean, it could be
>   "patchy %s <%s>" % (os.hostname(), config.email)
> but then again, if somebody's putting in their config.email, they
> might as well give it a personal name as well.

I agree for adding os.hostname().  However, I would set no "From:" field
in the Python script, as msmtp can use the one set in its config file
(or whichever program you you use to send an email).

> Thanks, added.  You can either check out a new repo with the
> origin set up, or else change the origin manually.  See the github
> docs for this because I don't know how to do it (although I know
> you do), nor do I know the correct address.

I changed the origin manually to keep the repo already fetched with Git
read-only protocol.

> Just things inside patches/.  If you'd like to rename directories
> (which could also be a good idea), I'm totally open to a
> discussion and I'll probably go along with whatever you suggest,
> but I'd still like to hear about it before you do it.  :)
> you may even want to split the current stuff in patches/ into a
> shared scripts dir and a "binaries" (well, "scripts to run") dir.

Yes, certainly.  I have a submission deadline for a talk on Saturday, so
most of this work will wait for Sunday.  If tomorrow I've got a couple
of runs by cron fully completed with working email notification, I'll do
a first round of pushing local changes and updating the CG though.

> There's a mention of Patchy in a later chapter... I think it's in
> the admin chapter?  I don't have the source code with me on
> vacation, but try
>   git grep lilypond-patchy-staging.py
> and you should find the material I'm talking about.  Phil Holmes
> wrote it, and James is either proofreading it or has edited it
> himself by now.

Yes, got it.

Cheers,
John