Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Ema

From: ianhulin44
Subject: Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Emacs (issue 6460109)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 16:07:28 +0000

On 2012/08/19 12:37:38, dak wrote:
On 2012/08/19 12:12:36, Ian Hulin (gmail) wrote:
> Do we need to add anything to the standard .gitignore for these?

Why should we?  This adds just one file which _should_ be checked out.

> They're files in the git directories for developers developing the
kit rather
> than users writing code.

If a developer wants to add his directory local variables, he'll add
his own
.gitignore entry.

> Quite a lot of developers have the build directory within the git
tree.

So?

> There are already .el files in the kit for lilypond mode in emacs.

What is "the kit"?

> Is this an issue for *this* patch?

Is _what_ an issue for this patch?

> Just some issues possibly coming in from the blind side.

I don't get the point you are trying to make.

Sorry for being obtuse.  I'd like your patch description to say more and
give answers to some of the following questions.

Who is the target audience for this patch, LilyPond developers or end
users using emacs to write their scores? Or both?

Where is your new .dir-locals.el going in the git directory tree? (Hence
the question about .gitignore.  I've just started using emacs and there
was tip from the web to allow you to specify what directories built-in
compile and gdb used as their pwd. This involved adding or customizing a
.dire-locals.el.)

Where is it going to end up after a make install run and where will it
be delivered when the binaries are built and run?

Is it a file users could or should be able to customize for their emacs
sessions? If it is, add some dire comment block warnings saying "Don't
change this bit".

Implementing coding styles for LilyPond developers is *a good thing*.
Adding some automation of those styles is also a good thng.  Well done
for taking this on, just make it a bit clearer to people not so heavily
involved with emacs what your doing and what you want to achieve.

Cheers,
Ian Hulin

http://codereview.appspot.com/6460109/