Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Ema

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Use directory-local variables to establish some coding styles in Emacs (issue 6460109)
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 18:06:17 +0100

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 04:50:54PM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> On 2012/08/19 16:07:28, Ian Hulin (gmail) wrote:
> >Where is it going to end up after a make install run and where will it
> be
> >delivered when the binaries are built and run?
>
> Huh?!?!?!?  It has nothing to do whatsoever with "make install".  It is
> a single file sitting in the top working directory of the git tree.

If that file was inside elisp/  (which I agree that we can see
from Rietveld that it is not), then I would expect that it would
be automatically installed.

> >Who is the target audience for this patch, LilyPond developers or end
> users
> >using emacs to write their scores? Or both?
>
> Huh?  Like everything written in the git tree, the "target audience" are
> LilyPond developers.

I think that Ian's confusion is understandable.  Files inside
elisp/*.el are mostly not intended for developers.  At least,
stuff like elisp/lilypond-mode.el seems to be aimed directly at
end-users, not developers.

David, please calm down.  We want to encourage people to review
patches.  The tone of your replies to Ian is not encouraging to
reviewers.  I agree that Ian has misunderstood a few things, but
these should be explained politely.  The use of multiple question
marks and exclamation marks is not polite.