Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Syntactical question [was: Re: Call for help with bar lines]
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:05:27 -0400

    >> I hope that the new interface both makes more sense than the old one,
    >> and still allows me to set barless music without ugly gaps where the bar
    >> lines aren't.
    Marc> Hmmm - with the new interface, nonexistent bar lines are not
    Marc> supported (yet), but I think that \bar #f or \defaultBarType = ##f
    Marc> *could* be made to work.

    Marc> On the other hand, why don't you just remove the Bar_engraver
    Marc> when you don't need it at all?
    Marc> I had not typeset music without bars so far, but this seems to me
    Marc> to be the easiest way to handle such situations.

I would have thought so before I did it, too.  I think if we were
typesetting for 16th century musicians, it would be.

However, I get complaints when a line break occurs within a bar.  The
facsimiles do this all the time (even in the 17th and eighteenth
centuries, when they were printing bar lines almost as often as we do),
but when I do it, the players complain.

So if you have some way to say "remove the Bar Engraver, but have the
line breaker still keep some kind of count of where in the time
signature it is", I'll try it.

I don't know whether the relationship between the Bar Engraver and the
line breaker would allow this at all.

--
Laura   (mailto:address@hidden, twitter: @serpentplayer)
(617) 661-8097  233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

A traveling horn virtuoso, Barry Tuckwell, was once asked about the
problem of how to practice while traveling and living in hotels. He
replied that he just turned up the TV and practiced because no one
minded the TV being loud!

quoted by RC Walsh on address@hidden