Re: Allows minimum-length to work for end-of-line spanners. (issue 74530

From: janek . lilypond
Subject: Re: Allows minimum-length to work for end-of-line spanners. (issue 7453046)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 22:34:53 +0000

I'll risk joining the discussion.

I see valid points from both of you.  I agree that it's better to fix a
broken design than to patch it with red tape.  However, if we only
accepted code changes that were implementing the Ultimate Solution, i'm
afraid that the development process would grind to a halt - Ultimate
Solutions are obvioulsly best, but they take much much more time to
implement, and usually only experts can write them.

This should not be an excuse for broken code, but i think that we can
accept patches that are iterations towards Ultimate Solution.

As i see it, Mike's patch doesn't make matters worse - it's just a piece
of duct tape to make a temporary solution (i.e. current messy code) less
broken.  I think that we could add a FIXME to it and accept it, because
it's not making future rewrite harder (at least it seems so to me).

Also, we're trying to make a stable release soon, so this is not a good
time to start rewriting big pieces of code.

https://codereview.appspot.com/7453046/