Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:47:19 +0200

On 24/09/13 15:45, David Kastrup wrote:
"you" is you.  So start fixing it.  You know better than everybody else
what is in need of fixing, so go ahead.

Every time I raise usability issues related to the contribution tools, I run into this big wall of denial that there is actually a problem. And rather than recognizing this as a concern of someone who wants to contribute, you throw it back at me as somehow a sign of inadequate commitment, that I complain without solving the problem.

I freely admit that I don't have all the technical skills needed to provide a solution to this problem. But I _do_ know what user experience I have contributing to other projects, and it is very, very different to what I have when trying to contribute to Lilypond. I don't think that it is wrong (or unhelpful) of me to point out that difference.

The thing is, even if I _did_ have all the technical skills required, or if I invested time and effort to learn them, do I have any guarantee that my work would be rewarded with acceptance of my solution? The hostile reception to my saying, "Here are a set of usability problems" doesn't exactly encourage my hope that a solution would be welcomed.