Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 16:03:32 +0100

Am 06.02.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Jeffery Shivers:
> I've thought about this a lot, and I agree that OLL would be the
> obvious means to implement a *contemporary notation* package with
> LilyPond.
>
> A huge problem we will face with doing this, which will always be a
> problem no matter how accessible/robust the library, is that there
> will very often be some unexpected (and probably illogical) way that a
> composer wants to notate their music. So if our software doesn't
> support what they want, or they have to really *stretch* it to
> accomplish their needs, it makes sense for them to turn to something
> like inkscape for faster and more straightforward results, even though
> that process won't carry all the benefits/flexibility of engraving
> with a tool like LilyPond (for example, increasing the horizontal
> spacing between everything in a multi-page score on a big ole inkscape
> document is a much bigger deal than it is in LilyPond).
>
> This is all to say, "contemporary notation" encapsulates so many
> possibilities, it'll be a tricky and probably exhausting process to
> figure out the best way to make its use available to as many users as
> possible. Not saying that to be discouraging, just realistic.

Your considerations are reasonable, but I wouldn't see it that much as a
problem. It's not that we need to create a tool that is as comprehensive
as, say, LilyPond itself with regard to common notation. What I think
would be useful (and sufficient in the currently discussed context) is a
tool/package/infrastructure that

  * proves that non-standard notation can be made availalbe through
    convenient and flexible (parametrical) commands,
  * provides tools to make it easy to build upon, that is to a) create
    additional libraries for specific purposes and b) to create custom
    commands for "local"use

>> LilyPond's programmability and especially the provision to make enhanced
>> features available through (more or less) easy-to-use commands is one of
>> the major features I've been lobbying with over the recent years. And
>> with regard to contemporary notation this feature outweighs (IMO) the
>> fact that creating non-standard notation is more complicated than by
>> using arbitrary drawing tools.
> Yes, my comment above pretty much echoes that.

Yes, exactly. And what I have in mind would simply put some weight on
one side of the scale to make it easier to achieve stuff and to make it
more obvious how cool it can be.

>> What I'm thinking of is not a flat collection of notation elements but
>> rather a hierarchy of
>> building blocks that can be used to easily build concrete notation elements.
> Yes - any thoughts on what the building blocks are yet? This could -
> and should - be an extensive discussion for sure.

Thoughts, yet, but not too thought-through yet. A category of tools
could for example be an interface/infrastructure to create notation that
behaves like a glissando, i.e. any drawn connection between two notes.
Or an infrastructure to add categorized playing technique "ornaments",
be it through path drawing, inclusion of images or accessing glyphs from
specialized fonts.

Indeed this should be discussed thoroughly before actually investing
substantial energy in implementation. But for now I'd defer this to a
moment if there should be a student interested in the project. This
discussion would be a very interesting topic for getting familiar with
the student, and a good exercise for the "bonding period".

Best
Urs

>>> https://openlilylib.org