Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Contemporary notation (Re: GSoC projects list)
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 18:13:49 +0100

OK, I think we have to take care that the discussion doesn't get out of
hand now but stays closely on topic (the GSoC project).

It is clear that *comprehensive* coverage of "contemporary notation" is
not a goal that LilyPond should or can aim at, at least for now.

What we *can* aim at is a foundation toolkit, basically as Jeffery
describes below, a framework where composers can build upon and create
their individual notation, but with a (more or less) common syntax,
which will make it easier to reuse code created by others. What I would
suggest a GSoC project should produce in addition is *one* coherent set
of notation features, like (just wild guesses) "Lachenmann style string
notation" or "a comprehensive set of weirdly drawn line spanners" or
"just intonation" or whatever - I would leave that as open as possible
in order not to discourage any potential student who just isn't
interested in a given notation type.

Urs