Re: xml2ly, a new translator from MusicXML to LilyPond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: xml2ly, a new translator from MusicXML to LilyPond
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 17:24:05 +0200

Am 1. September 2018 17:09:23 MESZ schrieb Menu Jacques <address@hidden>:
>Hello Urs,
>
>My work (MSR, LPSR and xml2ly) is contributed to Grame’s library as the
>‘lilypond’ branch of their github repository.
>
>The aim is to merge them with the ‘dev’ branch soon, in which case it
>will become part of the library itself.

Ah, that clarifies things.

>My OP’s aim is to see how they can be built automatically and made
>available together with LilyPond on the three main OSes, should they be
>felt as useful for a number of Lily users.

I'm sure that can be made possible. Maybe the best bet would be to create a
small wrapper that uses the library and can be deployed with LilyPond.

The question is whether that will be an improvement over the current state that
is worth the effort.
I can think of several reasons why this could be the case (better
coverage/"knowledge" of MusicXML, joining a wider MusicXML community etc.), but
as said I'm still not at home yet and didn't have any chance to look into it.

Best
Urs