Re: Issue 4550: Avoid "using namespace std; " in included files (Take 2)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Issue 4550: Avoid "using namespace std; " in included files (Take 2) (issue 579240043 by address@hidden)
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2020 15:09:39 +0100

Dan Eble <address@hidden> writes:

> On Jan 25, 2020, at 07:26, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> -      Interval hex = head->extent (common_[X_AXIS], X_AXIS);
>> +      Interval head_ext = head->extent (common_[X_AXIS], X_AXIS);
>>
>> That last part applies part of a patch from an unrelated issue of
>> Han-Wen.  Please don't do stuff like that, if necessary using
>
> It does not apply a patch from Han-Wen.  It necessarily renames that
> variable prior to a scripted replacement of "hex" with "std::hex".  I
> wonder whether the task would have been easier if I had used a
> different name for the variable.

Well, then I'd have had something looking like an actual conflict in my
rejected parts of the patches.  It would likely have been a bit more
work to resolve and quite a bit less to hunt down.

> I don't understand from this description exactly problem you
> experienced and where in my development process you would have wanted
> me to use that command.

It wasn't clear that this partial overlap with a patch of Han-Wen was
independently arrived at and manually created rather than an artifact.
The problem I experienced is that a partially applying patch apparently
was partly applied previously.  That this was not a problem of what I
was doing took some time to find out.  Of course, resetting would indeed
not have helped since my guess at the discrepancy's origin was wrong.