Re: automated formatting

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: automated formatting
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 11:11:28 +0100 (CET)

> I put up a .clang-format code that mostly mimicks our style at
>
>   https://codereview.appspot.com/561340043
>
> I have a lot of good experience with automating code formatting.  It
> removes drudgery for code authors, obviates discussions over style
> in code review, and generally elevates the level of discourse in our
> reviews.

I like that, thanks!

> The current config modifies about 11k lines, mostly because of
> different line breaks (necessary to keep the 80 column limit.)

As soon as I'm able to run this, I will check the formatting in
detail.

The 80 column limit is a special beast.  Sometimes it *does* make
sense to not follow this restriction, especially if the excess is just
a few characters...

> Obviously, reformatting code makes patches harder to transport, so
> we'd have to do it on all active branches at the same time.

I suggest to do such a clean-up after the releases of both 2.20 and
2.21.

    Werner